Conditional Use Permit

Conditional use permits aren't needed for most building projects, only for uses listed as "conditional" in the code. The process allows city officials to place case-by-case restrictions on the permit, minimizing the negative impacts of a proposed use. A CUP runs with the land and is generally granted in perpetuity, assuming the conditions are followed.

The process for a conditional use permit often begins when someone comes in for a building permit. The zoning administrator (in Marine, the city clerk) checks the plan and notices that the way they want to use the property is only allowed as a "conditional use." The applicant then requests a conditional use permit, which goes through the planning commission and is ultimately approved or denied by the city council.

You can look into conditional uses on your own. If you're the kind of person who knows your way around a zoning code (or wants to learn!), find your zoning district on the city's zoning map, then look it up in the zoning code. For each district there are "Permitted Uses," which are allowed without special consideration, although you'll likely need a building permit or other permit. Anything listed as a"Conditional Use" is eligible to be considered for a conditional use permit.

This permitting process requires a public hearing and can take 4-6 months, so it's best to talk to the clerk early on in the visioning process if you can. The application form below includes outline of the process and a checklist of required items.