Historic Walking Tour

Marine Depot

Walk a few hisotric highlights below, or pick up a Historic Walking Tour map at the city office (121 Judd St.) for $5.
Marine is located along the scenic St. Croix River 12 miles north of Stillwater and 15 miles south of Taylors Falls. 
Site of the First Mill • Judd Street, south of the Village Hall and Library
Founded as Marine Mills in 1839, it was the site of the first commercial saw mill along the St. Croix River. The remains of the mill can still be seen behind and south of the Village Hall at the Mill Site, a national historical site.


Marine General Store • 101 Judd Street
In 1870, the present General Store was built and has served the community ever since.


The Stone House • 241 5th Street
The Stone House was built in 1872 as Marine Mills' town meeting house. It now display items from the daily lives of early settlers, and is itself an example of the stone architecture used by the early Swedish pioneers

Marine Historic Downtown


Village Hall • 121 Judd Street
In 1888, the Village Hall was built. It continues to serve as the seat for community government and is the oldest village hall in the state still being used for governmental purposes. It is currently used for City Council and Planning Commission meetings, and houses the community library. 


Marine Today
A busy river town with a population of 650 during the 1880s, Marine is now a community whose residents treasure the atmosphere of a friendly small town and county life with the advantages of being near a metropolitan area. In 1964, a group of residents established the 
Restoration Society to preserve the unique quality of this historical riverside town as it enjoys new growth and the advantages of both city and country living.

The Village Hall, Community LibraryLutheran Church, Stone House Museum, Mill Site and Fire Hall are all sources of pride to the approximate 700 residents of Marine.

More information can be found in the Historic Walking Tour brochure (the example below is not print quality), or through the Washington County Historical Society.