How Do I ...


 Compost food waste?

Marine residents can have a composter in their yard, or take organic waste to the county-run Northern Yard Waste Site in Hugo (5527 170th St. N., Hugo, MN 55038), where they will be given free composting bags. Hours change seasonally. Visit the Northern Yard Waste website for hours, accepted items and other information.

 Compost grass clippings and leaves?

City of Marine on St. Croix residents (meaning you pay for garbage service in Marine) are encouraged to take their brush, leaves and grass clippings to the city owned and operated compost site located 3/4 mile north of the Hwy 95 and County Rd 4 intersection.

Residents may also pick up compost and wood chips upon availability.

 Find out whether I need a burning permit?

Burning permits are needed for fires larger than a campfire (3' x 3'). The DNR may also have restrictions on large fires based on current conditions.

 License my dog?

Dog licenses are available at the City office during regular office hours. Bring a copy of your dog's current rabies vaccination form. There is a $10.00 charge for the license. If your dog is picked up by the animal control officer and does not have a current license, there will be a charge to you when your dog is returned.

 Moor a boat?

The City has several rustic public-access points to the river, and offers a set number of licenses annually for moorage of canoes, kayaks, and small fishing boats (pontoons cannot be moored on City property).

Contact City staff to find out whether there is availability or to be added to the wait list: 651-433-3636.

 Pay my utility bill online?

To register for online utility payments, go to

Municipal code: MarineMN047

 Report an airboat on the river?

Airboat use on the St Croix River in the federal zone is prohibited! If you see or hear an airboat, report it so authorities may begin to prioritize this issue. For park-related incidents and complaints (i.e. airboat use, noise complaints), please call 1-800-PARK-TIP (1-800-727-5847). This number goes to a National Park Service dispatch center that is open 24/7 and will get the most immediate response from a National Park Service law enforcement officer in your area.  One thing to note is this dispatch center is located in Indiana Dunes National Park so you need to tell them you are calling about an incident on the St Croix River and provide as much information as possible about the location. For example, it is happening near Marine on St. Croix or across from Somerset Landing or near a specific mile marker or campsite number. 


Definition of Airboat:  Airboat means a vessel that is supported by the buoyancy of its hull and powered by a propeller or fan above the waterline. This definition should not be construed to mean a “hovercraft,” that is supported by a fan-generated air cushion.

Airboat law for federal zone:  

§ 36CFR 3.8 

(a) The following operations are prohibited:

(1) Launching or operating an airboat.

From the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), which is where you can find laws related to the National Park Service.


Noise complaints can also be reported. While we do not have decibel meters to measure the sound level, we will enforce the unreasonable sound standard when necessary. 

Only the National Park Service can enforce the federal laws in the federal zone

 Report a power outage?

You can check electric outages affecting your neighborhood, find out when power is estimated to be restored, and report the outage on Xcel Energy's Outages and Safety page.

 Reserve the hall or gazebo for an event?

Village Hall Rental - The upstairs of the Marine Village Hall is available for rent for wedding receptions, dances, birthday parties, etc.

Park Rental - The City of Marine allows the rental of certain City owned parks, including the gazebo park, for outdoor events. If the event will have amplified music, a Outdoor Music Permit application is also required.

 Set up garbage service?

Contact the City office at 651-433-3636 to set up garbage service. Marine on St. Croix has a contract with Waste Management, and the City helps manage all accounts and serves as the point of contact between residents and WM.